The Sask Summer Games returns in 2024 after the 2020 games were cancelled due to the Covid-19 Pandemic. We have been working with the Games Council and pleased that triathlon will be in the games. Here are the details:
Date and Location:
- July 24– 27, 2024
- Lloydminster, Saskatchewan
Age Group: Youth
- 12 – 15 (age on Dec 31st, 2024)
- Individual Triathlon: Each athlete will complete the distances stated below
- 400 m Swim, 8 km Bike, 2 km Run
- Individual Duathlon:
- 2 km Run, 8 km Bike, 1 km Run
- 2X2 Mixed Team Relay Triathlon: A team will consist of two athletes of opposite gender within a District who will each race twice in a relay format. Teams will race in the order of male – female – male – female. Each team competitor will complete the swim, bike and run course before tagging the next competitor. If a competitor is unable to continue, the team is disqualified.
- Athletes: Qualification at regional competitions. Triathlon Saskatchewan plans to offer qualification at local events in each of the nine sport Districts but reserves the right to offer regional competitions if no local events can be organized.
- Coaches: At minimum, must be a Triathlon Canada Community Coach at the NCCP “Trained” status level. Triathlon Saskatchewan is hosting a Triathlon Canada NCCP Community Coaching Course for coaches interested in participating in the games or looking to update certification to work with youth, junior and age group athletes. There are online education and onsite practical components in Regina and Saskatoon. Note: Triathlon Saskatchewan will cover travel expenses for coaches and athletes to ensure all districts are represented.
- Online Education: November 24, 2023 and December 1st 2023 from 5:30 to 8:30 pm.
- Practicum: Regina December 3, 2023 from 7 am to 1 pm at the Lawson Aquatic Centre (confirmed). Saskatoon, January 21st, 2024 (tentative).
- For more information about triathlon in the Sask Summer Games, please contact Dr. Yvonne Cafik, Provincial Technical Liaison: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For athlete selection and coach training and development, please contact Coach Brendan MacKenzie at Coach@triathlonsaskatchewan.org.